THE JOHN BLAIR JR. & MARGARET (McCALL) BLAIR FAMILY
1783 - 1870 1790 - 1852
John Blair Jr. Margaret McCall
Connection to blog chart: John Blair Jr. and Margaret (McCall) Blair ("Peggy") are the parents of William McCall Blair, who married (1) Mary Ann Kirby and (2) Sarah E. Embry.
John Blair Jr. was born on April 20, 1783 (possibly on the 29th). Birth locations range from Cork, Ireland to North Carolina to Washington county, Tennessee. He was married to Margaret McCall ("Peggy") on January 22 (24), 1811 in Washington county, Tennessee. (Note: Susan LeSueur's research shows "Elizabeth" McCall as married to John Blair). Peggy was born on December 25, 1790 in East Tennessee (born on December 25, 1790 according to Marvin Smith Blair chart; born in 1796 in North Carolina according to the census). (Her parents were John McCall and his wife, Jenny (One website source says John McCall's wife was Margaret Ann Smith. This same source says that John McCall died in 1821, Margaret Ann Smith died in 1846, and John Blair lived from 1783 to 1850)) John N. McCall and his wife Martha, according to one source, were neighbors of John Jr.'s father, John Blair, the "miller of Leesburg". Margaret Blair received $ 5.00 in John McCall Sr.'s will, which was written on March 5, 1821. She was named as his daughter). Peggy Blair died on October 22, 1852.
John was the son of John Blair, the "miller of Leesburg" and his wife, Jane Gamble. John Jr. served as co-executor of his father's estate with his step-mother, Hannah Caruthers Blair, in 1821 (Also, son-in-law, William Carmichael). John Jr. was still in Washington county, Tennessee in 1821. He received the following from his father's estate: 1 1/2 equal parts of estate. Free grinding at the mill (from time Mr. Nelson's time at mill expired until the sale of the mill) upon the condition that he assists in keeping the mill in order (John, the "miller's" grandson Josiah was to take possession of the mill; he was Thomas' child).
About 1830, John Jr. moved to the Cherokee county area of northern Alabama where Indian lands had become available, with a colony of families from Washington county. (One member was Ezekiel Stone Blair, believed to be the son of Thomas Blair; Thomas was a son of John Blair "the miller"). These Blairs named their settlement "Blairsville". One source says John Jr. moved to Talledega, in Calhoun county, Alabama about 1828 - 1830. (According to the birthdates of their children, they moved from east Tennessee to Alabama in 1829). On November 16, 1850, John Jr. is listed in the census as a farmer with $ 300.00 property value. In 1860 Calhoun county, Alabama, the value of his real estate was $ 1, 500 and the value of his personal estate was $ 500.00. (There is only one Blair family in the 1860 Calhoun county, Alabama census. It is the William McCall Blair family with a two year old son named Robert. Also, William's father, John Jr., is living with them at age 77). John died on March 3, 1870 (One source says he died on January 15, 1858 in Roane, Tennessee. This source may be confusing him with another John Blair). (Note: Is Carthage, Tennessee in Washington county? If so, could the John S. Blair buried in the south Belton, Texas cemetery be John Jr.? The death date matches).
The Children of John Jr. & Peggy (McCall) Blair:
Note: One source said he had a small family, a son and perhaps a daughter. He was the grandfather of Judge John L. Blair (1928) of Loudon, Tennessee.
Note: The 1860 Calhoun county, Alabama census lists a "Hardy C.", female, age 51, born in Tennessee living with the family.
I. Jane Gambel Blair ("Jane"): She was born on August 8, 1812 in Tennessee. She married Singleton Smith on February 22, 1836 (possibly 1837). Singleton Smith was born about 1810 in Tennessee. He was a farmer. His real estate value in 1860 was 200; his personal estate value was 250. They had the following children:
A. Lucinda Smith: She was born about 1839 in Alabama.
B. Martha Smith: She was born about 1844 in Alabama.
C. Nancy Smith: She was born about 1846 in Alabama.
D. Mahaley Smith: born about 1848 in Alabama.
E. Mary Smith: She was born about 1853 in Alabama.
II. Martha Elizar Blair ("Martha"): She was born on January 18, 1814. She married Jonathan W. Whitesides on July 23, 1835. They had the following children:
A. Mary L. Whitesides:
B. Harry Whitesides:
III. John Stewart Blair: He was born on December 10, 1815. (Note: A "John" is listed in the 1850 Cherokee county, Alabama census. According to the census, he would have been born in 1828 in East Tennessee).
IV. Margaret S. Blair: She was born on August 21, 1818 (Note: "Margaret" is listed in the 1850 Cherokee county, Alabama census. She would have been born in 1829 in Alabama, according to the census). She married Cornelius McIvage in August of 1838. She died on November 12, 1849.
V. Mary Ann Blair ("Nancy"): She was born on March 8, 1821 in Alabama. (Note: "Nancy Ann Blair" in 1850 Cherokee county, Alabama census shows her to be born in 1826 in East Tennessee). She married Andrew Jackson Young on March 9, 1843 (possibly 1847). He was born in 1819 in Tennessee. He died on November 26, 1864 in Little Rock, Arkansas. Nancy died on October 22, 1910 in Wernert, Texas (another source says on August 28, 1861). (Note: Could "Nancy" and "Mary" be two different children?). They had the following children:
A. William Washington Young: He was born on January 19, 1848 in Cherokee county, Alabama. He married Charlotte Ann Steele. She was born on December 12, 1844 in Mississippi. Her first husband's name was Pearcy; her mother's maiden name was Lewallen. Charlotte Ann Steele died on December 22, 1903 at Mt. Vernon, Texas; she was buried the same day. William died on June 15, 1928 in Shively, California; he was buried two days later in Fortuna, California. They had the following children:
1. Mary Jane Young: She was born on November 22, 1866 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. She was married on September 25, 1886 to Carter Andrew Barnett Mayberry. He was born on July 26, 1863 in Pinebluff, Grant, Arkansas. He died on February 5, 1935 in Corning, Tehema, California; this is also where he was buried. His parents were David James Mayberry and Louise "Y" Miller. Mary Jane Young died on February 4, 1948 in Corning, Tehama, California; she is buried here. They had the following children:
a. Jimmie Washington Mayberry: He was born on June 28, 1887 in Caldwell, Texas in Burleson county. He died on July 13, 1887.
b. Josie Magdaline Mayberry: She was born on July 6, 1888 in Caldwell, Texas in Burleson county. She married Verden Alvin Johnson on July 7, 1907; she may have had a second husband.
c. Roxie Ann Mayberry: She was born on June 14, 1890 in Little River, Texas (Bell county). She married Ernest Joseph Hubbard in October of 1907.
d. Ollie Andrew Mayberry: He was born on July 15, 1892 in Heidenheimer, Texas (Bell county). He married Nora Lee Brady on September 21, 1915; he may have had a second marriage. He died on September 28, 1958.
e. Bill Jackson Mayberry: He was born on December 18, 1894 in Heidenheimer, Texas. He married Emma McCullock on September 17, 1911.
f. Myrtle Minnie Mayberry: She was born on October 21, 1896 in Heidenheimer, Texas. She married Charley Martin on February 12, 1916; she may have married a second time. Myrtle died on July 27, 1922.
g. Henry Carter Mayberry: He was born on November 19, 1898 at Reed's Lake in Bell county, Texas. He married Dovie Pounds. He died on September 29, 1918.
h. Esker Farrell Mayberry: He was born on October 25, 1901 in Temple, Texas (Bell county). He married Amy Busby on February 4, 1926 in Bisbee, Cochise, Arizona. Amy was born on October 24, 1904 at St. David in Chochise, Arizona. Her parents were Abraham John Busby and Clara Grove Goodman. Esker Farrell Mayberry lived in Temple, Texas (Bell county). They had the following children:
(1. Esker Jimmie Mayberry ("Jim"): He was born on May 3, 1928 in Bisbee in Cochise county, Arizona. He married Gwendolyn Young ("Gwen") on November 27, 1946 in Bisbee. Gwendolyn was born on April 27, 1927 in Riverside, California. Her parents were Everett Alma Young and Helen McRae. Esker Jimmie Mayberry and Gwendolyn had the following children:
(a. Susan Mayberry: She was born on February 28, 1952 in Tucson, Arizona in Pima county. She married Leo Michael LeSueur on November 23, 1973 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona. He was born on April 4, 1946 in Tempe in Maricopa, Arizona. His parents were Leo Robertson LeSueur and Thelma Claire Ellsworth. They had the following children:
(1). Amy LeSueur: She was born on June 30, 1973 in Tucson Arizona.
(2). Leo John LeSueur: He was born on September 6, 1975 in Salt Lake, Utah in Salt Lake county.
(3). Daniel Mayberry LeSueur: He was born on March 25, 1978 in El Paso, Texas (El Paso county).
(b. Linda Mayberry: She was born on July 26, 1947 in Tucson, Arizona in Pima county. She married Robin Leigh Richey on June 21, 1968.
(c. Ralph Esker Mayberry: He was born on August 22, 1949 in Tucson, Arizona. He married Martha Elrey.
(d. Jimmy Young Mayberry: He was born on April 5, 1954 in Tucson, Arizona. He married Marianne Blaine.
(e. Janice Mayberry: She was born on August 9, 1955 in Benson in Cochise, Arizona. She married Melvin Robinson.
(f. Wendy Ann Mayberry: She was born on February 16, 1960 in Benson, Arizona.
(g. John Carter Mayberry: He was born on August 1, 1962 in Benson, Arizona.
(h. Michelle Mayberry: She was born on December 10, 1963 in Benson, Arizona.
(i. Andrew Wayne Mayberry: He was born on May 2, 1967 in Benson, Arizona.
(2. Andrew Busby Mayberry: He was born on May 4, 1933 in Bisbee, Cochise county, Arizona. He married LaVee Thompson on January 30, 1959.
(3. Farrell Roland Mayberry: He was born on January 12, 1939 in Bisbee, Cochise county, Arizona. He married Verna Sloan on October 17, 1958.
i. (son): He was born on October 25, 1901 in Temple, Bell county, Texas. He died three days later on October 28th.
j. Curtis Thomas Mayberry: He was born on December 14, 1903 in Temple, Texas. He married Emma Ashard on March 28, 1925.
k. Jodie Mayberry: He was born on May 19, 1905 in Temple, Texas. He married Lela Biggs on December 4, 1926; he may have had a second marriage.
l. Gracie Opal Mayberry: She was born on January 13, 1908 in Troy, Texas (Bell county). She married Charley Baker on October 9, 1923; she may have been married a second time.
2. Isic Franklin Young: He was born on October 9, 1869 in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
3. Naomie E. Young: She was born on March 8, 1871 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. She married Sam P. Norcross. She died on January 20, 1899.
4. Nancy Ann Young: She was born on October 24, 1872 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. She married Will M. Brown. She died on August 27, 1948.
5. William Jackson Young: He was born on April 8, 1876 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He married Bobbie Austin. He died on October 22, 1927.
6. Hity Eftis Young: He was born on November 22, 1878 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He married Emmie H. Currie.
7. Charlotte Etta Young: She was born on July 20, 1883 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. She married Earl West. She died on December 22, 1922.
8. Gertrude Young: She was born on January 30, 1890 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. She married Loyle Brooks. She died on December 21, 1907.
B. John Franklin Young: He was born on July 12, 1850 in Cherokee county, Alabama. He married Annie Wallace. He died on April 2, 1890.
C. Thomas Newton Young: He was born on March 6, 1853 in Cherokee county, Alabama. He married Edna Alma Post. He died on December 2, 1921.
D. Isaac Taylor Young: He was born on February 18, 1856 in Cherokee county, Alabama. He married Clemmie Lewis. He died on Christmas day in 1935.
VI. Margary M. Blair ("Margary"): born on June 2, 1823. She married A.J. Black on December 31, 1846. (Note: Could this be daughter "Marelda" who was born in 1849 in Alabama according to the 1850 Cherokee county, Alabama census?).
VII. Elizabeth Ann Blair: She was born on October 6, 1825. She married Simon Post on August 17, 1845.
VIII. William McCall Blair: He was born on March 30, 1828 in Washington county, Tennessee. He married first to (1) Mary Ann Kirby on August 17, 1848 in Benton (now Calhoun) county, Alabama. His second wife was (2) Sarah E. Embry ("Sallie"); they were married on July 20, 1865. He died at his home in Moody, Texas (McLennan county) on Sunday, May 22, 1904. The funeral was at the Methodist church in Moody an he is buried in the Moody cemetery next to his second wife. The children of William McCall Blair and Mary Ann Kirby are:
A. Marelda (Eralda?) Blair: She married Tom Lewallen.
B. Margaret (Maggie?) Blair: She married Dick Fergus.
C. William Blair:
D. Robert Thomas Blair: He married Sallie Whatley.
E. Mary Caroline Blair:
F. Molly Blair: She married Mack McElroy.
The children of William McCall Blair and Sallie E. Embry are:
A. Orlando Blair:
B. Annie Blair: She married Dick Howard.
1. Census Records:
a. 1850 Cherokee county, Alabama.
b. 1860 Calhoun county, Alabama (July 17, 1860. Ranges 5, 6, and 7. Post office: Alexandria). This census shows the family of William McCall Blair and Mary Ann Kirby. It lists John Blair as father, born 1790 in Tennessee.
2. Query of Margaret Vance Webb, Blair Magazine, Vol. IX. No. 3. page 15. Fall, 1991.
3. Marvin Smith Blair genealogychart on the Blair family.
4. William McCall Blair & Mary Ann Kirby wedding license. Anniston, Alabama courthouse.
5. William McCall Blair & Sarah E. Embry wedding license. Anniston, Alabama courthouse.
6. Blair Family Magazine, Summer 1983 issue, page 4 (John Blair and Margaret McCall wedding date).
7. Two pages of information on family in possession of Alva Mae (Swan) Hooker in Temple, Texas. (possible copy of William McCall Blair Bible information?).
8. Susan LeSueur from Colorado Springs, Colorado in April, 1980. Has information on the Nancy Ann Blair/ Andrew Jackson Young line. Her source was a sheet she copied which was submitted to the LDS Library in Salt Lake City, Utah by R.C. Mayberry.
9. Marriage Records of Washington county, Tennessee 1787 - 1840 by Grammer, N.R. Fort Worth Public Library (downtown location). Fort Worth, Texas.
10. Washington county, Tennessee Marriages. Vol. O. page 135 (John and Margaret Blair).
11. Washington county, Tennessee Willbook 1. page 445. (4-28-1820). (Goldene).
12. Susan Mayberry.
13. Margaret Vance Webb, Knoxville, Tennessee.
14. Family records of Esker and Amy Mayberry (from mother, Mary Jane Young, before her death). St. David, Arizona. (For information regarding Mary Jane Young's immediate family).
15. Family records of Jim and Gwen Mayberry. St. David, Arizona.